Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I had fish last night on eddystone eel teasers (pretty much the same as red gills) fished in front of needlefish. Also picked up one (my best of the evening) on one of those vision surf eels). No keepers, but the biggest was close and nice and fat. Caught on the last stages of the outgoing real close to the beach. Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Board Administrator

Get a orange and yellow Mag Darter. Get a 5 inch Mambo Minnow in yellow and black.
PM me and I will tell you where to go.

On the Water Magazine- Staff
Hobie Fishing Team
KFS W.E.T. Staff

Forsake not an old friend, for a new one does not compare with him.
Apocrypha -- Ecclesiasticus 9:10
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Nice Shipwreck! The Mag darter is just incredible.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Montauk was filled with fish but it was hard fishing. Took everything you had Friday to cast into that wind and by the time you caught up with your lure your time was short.

I opted for a 2oz shad head with a 6”shad body wish I had a 3oz head. It got me out and the rubber gave me enough buoyancy to catch up before snagging bottom. On Friday I had 2hr of steady action, but it was slow after that.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Board Administrator

Here is DJ's report titled,
The sea filled with bass.

Mike D., Rooney, Ray, and planned an attack on Montauk's south side on short order. Rumors were there were LARGE in the neighborhood and we wanted in on the action. Rooney saw a 47 pounder caught right next to him on Wednesday night. We knew where we need to be. On our hike out to our destination a small area of bird activity perked up followed by some fish breaking water in front of us just off the reef. We stood and watched for a short period of time until the activity grew bigger and bigger and we began to feel the need to maybe make a couple casts before moving on to our target spot. Well the area of fish and birds turned into an all out blitz and we indulged ourselves. It was a classic Montauk blitz where stripers and bluefish pressed bay anchovies and sand eels into the boulderfields. The number of fish could probably be estimated in the thousands maybe the tens of thousands! They were every where. We all took boulders on outer edge positions on the reef and banged fish on every cast for over an hour and a half, into the dark. I don't think anyone kept count but everyone estimated numbers around fifty bass or more each. After dark the fish increased in size slightly but the big girl never came. Everyone had a fish to close to 20 pounds but most were between 26 and 34 inches. To say it was an unbelievable experience would be an understatement!

As the tide slacked so did the bite, five hours later we were happy and exhausted, memories of a life time were imprinted in our minds. The sight of seeing bass chasing bait all around your rock or seeing rainfish stranded in the weed on top of a boulder, or bass cruising through the face of a wave is awesome. Us Jersey boys ain't used to that!!

DJ

On the Water Magazine- Staff
Hobie Fishing Team
KFS W.E.T. Staff

Forsake not an old friend, for a new one does not compare with him.
Apocrypha -- Ecclesiasticus 9:10
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Sweet. I really want to get out asap. If conditions are good this weekend then maybe then or so night this week if me and my dad get a chance. I just want to catch my first striper of the year.

The bigger the fish, the better the feelin'
Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Damn Ship, great report.
Back in 94 I had a three day shot of that up in Martha's Vineyard. Wind blowing in your face from 15 to 20 mph, cold rain, huge shoal of blueback herring in the bight. Just before sunset it would start as the bass came in and balled up the bait. Same size fish, 26 to 34 inches. We were catching them two at a time, one on the teaser and one on the plug. Went on for a couple hours each night. I just remember standing in waist deep water laughing my ass off as we hammered the bass.
Couple days later the weather cleared and the fish were gone.

Last edited by fishon; 10-27-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM

I picked up some clams and the eels Surfuri mentioned.

The wind didn't allow me to cast the lure very far so I stuck mostly to the clams.

Ship, I didn't see your note until I got back but thanks for the info and offer.

I started at the fishing beach at Sandy Hook and stayed there about an hour but nothing happening. There were 4 other guys there and they left before I did with nothing.

Next I went to Sea Bright and went over the wall and fished there for 30 minutes with no luck.

Finally I went to MB and fished there til about 7:00 and it was dead also.

Well I'm cured for NJ surf fishing for this year.

Earlier in the day I took the yak to KFS, had the rudder adjusted, got the turbo fins and picked up some teasers.

The yak is packed on the car and by Saturday its off to Florida.

I'll be surf fishing there everyday til May since its only 50 yards from the from the front door and hunting down snook and other Florida game fish in the yak whenever I get a chance.

Its been great fishing with all the NJ guys and I'll miss seeing you til May.

All the NJ guys are true gentleman.

I guess now I'll have to become a derelict for the winter months to fit in with the Florida group.

I can't wait to get Luna to be my ballast in the front seat of my tandem Hobie.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Kayakdad, I want pictures of that.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM

I have four goals in Florida.

1. Catch a Tarpom
2. Catch a Bonefish
3. Catch a Permit
4. Get Luna in a Hobie

I'll make sure I get video of number 4 if it happens.

Tags
bass, fridge