Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Kaskazi Kayaks

Kaskazi Kayaks South Africa's finest fishing kayaks

Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
I second that. It is very easy to get back on, but I never had a problem while wearing a PFD, and I've done it many times for practice. If you can't get back on your kayak quickly and easily, you have no business being out on the water.

CPP, I would never remove that PFD. Very dangerous. If that yak gets away from you, you will really find out what a wet re-entry feels like.
If we took a poll, and people were honest, I will bet that a number as high as probably 98% of the guys doing this stuff have never tried even once to get into their kayak from deep water or practiced a rescue a single time.

Also, from what I have seen and what I have read here, most are probably on the "larger" size of things, which makes the process of reentry more complicated than someone lighter and smaller overall.

Sure for some paddlers that might be in the smaller 150-180 pound size class, doing a remount should be as easy as can be. But as a person's size increases, the process can get exponentially more difficult.

The larger a person gets , the harder the process of pulling themselves out of the water can become.

As the level of difficulty increases, the hard pockets of a PFD (on the Stohlquist Fisherman for example) can make sliding across the surface for a remount very difficult.

Goldie also brought up a REALLY important, major point about PFD sizing.

That's a point that is always brought up in regards to touring kayakers, but rarely brought up around here with the fishing crowd.

Just a note: The main reason I posted my Fenn surfski story ( and admittedly made it a "little bit over-dramatic") was my attempt to bring attention to the subject and possibly make a few people here think about the above facts and maybe go out and at least go through the procedure of doing a remount at least once.

Last edited by Odin; 12-21-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM

You also need to account for the piles of junk people put all around the cockpit. It's a wonder some of them can get in at all, never mind a re-entry in rough water.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You also need to account for the piles of junk people put all around the cockpit. It's a wonder some of them can get in at all, never mind a re-entry in rough water.
YUP!!!!!

All you have to do is do a reentry once to realize that the adage "less is more" really applies!

My QCC will be on it's way to my door on January 26th!

I found an absolute STEAL on a Seal Tropical Tour spray skirt (close-out $34 down from $119 ) and a cold weather Kokatat Offshore skirt for $42!

I also purchased another high tech safety device to install on the kayak.

You can never have enough of those...

Here it is.. It goes on the hull...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 PM

I guess it doesn't work in Australia.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Since I'm not an "Offshore" kayaker, I'm not all that worried about rough/deep water re-entry. I do know I can re-enter a Necky Spike NO PROBLEM in alligator infested waters..but that's another story .
I do agree with the statement- "Remember to pull the kayak beneath you rather than trying to pull yourself onto the kayak". That makes all the difference in the world!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Hey I resemble that remark..... But I have my whole left side clean for landing fish and reentry... But the worst PFD for getting back in your yak is the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD with its hard shell pockets that stick out get hung up on the sides of the yak making reentry almost impossible...

KFS W.E.T. STAFF
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineside View Post
Hey I resemble that remark..... But I have my whole left side clean for landing fish and reentry... But the worst PFD for getting back in your yak is the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD with its hard shell pockets that stick out get hung up on the sides of the yak making reentry almost impossible...
I wear the Stohlquist Asea, which has the same high back as the Fisherman but without the big, bulky pockets. The material in the pockets on the Asea is just soft nylon. Also, it has buckles rather than a zipper, which I prefer. Very comfortable, and no problems on re-entry.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I wear the Stohlquist Asea, which has the same high back as the Fisherman but without the big, bulky pockets. The material in the pockets on the Asea is just soft nylon. Also, it has buckles rather than a zipper, which I prefer. Very comfortable, and no problems on re-entry.
I have one of them also that I got after the Fisherman. I agree, much easier to get back in the yak and once I adjusted the buckles right, very comfortable and a GREAT colder weather vest...

I buy PFD's like I buy lures. When ever I see them on close out of 40 to 60 % off I grab one if I think I can use it for any particular circumstance.

I have 6 different ones that I got in the past year. I prefer an inflatable for long paddles and a standard one in colder weather when I am sitting and fishing...
Old 12-26-2009, 09:49 PM

I also wear an inflatable when it is warmer and switch to my Lotus when the temps cool or if in cold water. I was looking at the fisherman jacket but not anymore. It sounds too dangerous.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Default inflatable life vests

When practicing self rescues/remounts in a sea kayak ( not SOT) with my local kayak club a few years ago, my inflatable life jacket's pull tab snagged on a deck fitting as I was doing a cowboy scramble. The jacket inflated as I was trying to scramble on the deck which was like trying to remount with a basket ball on your chest. After that I didn't trust my CO2 powered inflatable life vest anymore- also when testing it inflated in the pool it was not as secure a fit in deep water as a "real" life vest.
I got a Astral buoyancy hybrid life vest instead because it is manual inflation and won't inflate at the wrong time. It has a strap system like a real kayak life jacket and is is cooler in the summer in Florida for a transplanted Yankee.
Commercial grade inflatable life vests may not have these problems but most inflatable types at West Marine , boat stores, etc. probably do.
link to Astral hybrid life vest on sale
http://www.leesadventuresports.com/l...rid200LifeVest

Last edited by joebh; 03-27-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: addition

Tags
dorado, dorado ii, kaskazi, kaskazi dorado, video