Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Motorized Kayaks

Motorized Kayaks Trolling Motors and anything else self-propelled

Old 01-21-2010, 01:08 AM

Default Do I really need to buy a saltwater trolling motor?

My apologies if this question is already answered in the forum but I searched with no luck.

I live at Cabo, so, I always do fishing on saltwater, I'm planning to install a trolling motor on my kayak, mostly for situations when wind and current are trying to stop me to reach the shore.

The big question is like the title says, I've checking the prices for trolling motors and there's a huge difference from a freshwater motor than a saltwater one. Do I really need a saltwater version even if I'd take care washing with freshwater everytime I go to fishing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Know what you mean about the price. I figured was with the price of a saltwater version being around $250, that if a freshwater version would last a year, I would simply replace it. You can buy them for around $70-$80 dollars, cheaper if you get one used. I've had one in service for 2 years and still going strong...even dunked it once.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Ok without naming any companies here's the skinny,
Taking the same motor in both versions, the only difference is the coating on the outside of the motor housing. The internals are identical, everything is Stainless Steel that has to be inside the motor.

On the out side some of the wingnut studs are stainless on the salt versions

The freshwater motors use a powder coating on the aluminum housings ,where the saltwater versions use an expoy base coating and some majic stuff underneath.

A freshwater motor will hold up in saltwater just fine as long as you rinse it with freshwater. treat it as you treat your reels!

We offer a black saltwater motor which are new old stock.

The answer is short is NO
Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

AFK, if you plan on using a trolling motor in saltwater buy a saltwater model. If you use a freshwater trolling motor in saltwater you void the manufacturer’s warranty. If something happens to that motor forget about the warranty. Just something to think about before you buy.
NYS Licensed Guide #4542
http://kayakerstan.tripod.com
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up Thank you guys for the replies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwater Sam View Post
Know what you mean about the price. I figured was with the price of a saltwater version being around $250, that if a freshwater version would last a year, I would simply replace it. You can buy them for around $70-$80 dollars, cheaper if you get one used. I've had one in service for 2 years and still going strong...even dunked it once.
That's the exactly the reason of my question, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Ok without naming any companies here's the skinny,
Taking the same motor in both versions, the only difference is the coating on the outside of the motor housing. The internals are identical, everything is Stainless Steel that has to be inside the motor. ....
....The answer is short is NO
Thanks a lot Steve for that analysis, that makes me fell more comfortable, i'm going to taking special care on well washing it with freswater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
AFK, if you plan on using a trolling motor in saltwater buy a saltwater model. If you use a freshwater trolling motor in saltwater you void the manufacturer’s warranty. If something happens to that motor forget about the warranty. Just something to think about before you buy.
Thank you Stan, that's a good point, but on my case i'm not worry about warranty, because I will use it 1,000 miles away from any good trolling motor store, so, if something happens to the motor... it will be cheaper buy a new one that send it back for warranty disclaim.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to FLKayakAngler

I've got a Minn Kota Endura 40lb thrust.

I've put over a 1000hrs on it the last year in strictly saltwater. I feshwater rinse after every trip. The Black coating on the motor itself has recently started to show signs of oxidization underneath. The motor shaft is fine and the motor runs just like the day I bought it. I will be stripping the paint/coating off and redoing it with mercury marine spray paint.

As far as warranty, if you are doing a serious install the warranty will be void the second you hack it up anyway so no need to worry about that.

You can buy 2 freshwater motors for the cost of the saltwater if you shop around some.

14.5' Native Watercraft Ultimate - Motorized / 12' Native Watercraft Magic - In tow
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Buy a fresh water version and wash ity down, it will last for years. We have a skiff and ran the same freshwater trolling motor on it for almost 5 years and I admit I didnt give it the best of care. Yeah the finish comes flaking off but I would just take spray paint and spray it up. The motor did not fail from the salt water, it failed when a piece of line got behind the prop and damaged the main seal.
Go for the fresh water version.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM

These basic trolling motors are nearly bullet proof, hence the three year warranty, the company is not worried. The only problem comes with getting a foreign objects under the rear seal, ei: braid or fishing lines, some weeds. allowing water inside to start corrosion.
Fresh water is usally no major problem, but salt that can be serious.
The replacement parts are cheap and easy to replace.
Attached are a few saltwater damaged motors, these are totaled, these have heavy Mono under the seal and was put away with water inside the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (47.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg motor4.jpg (42.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg motor3.jpg (43.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Get the FW version and save the money. Wash it often and when it begins to show wear from the sw instead of sanding and painting it have it powder coated. Thats bullet proof and will look much better.
You can get a DIY powder coat kit from Eastwood automotive which is used on car frames and such. All you need is an old stove for the powder coat to be cured in.
I have powdercoated small parts in an old toaster oven without any problems. Its pretty easy.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Don't powder coat it !! Expoxy paint it or use a good Marine grade paint.

Dave do you think he has an oven big enough for the shaft????

Tags
motor, saltwater, trolling