Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing > Salt Water

Salt Water All things salty and tidal

Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Cheap or DIY Push Pole

I want a push pole to use on my hobie outback. Any suggestions on how to make or find a good one for cheap? I tried making one of PVC but it flexes alot and is not too good....

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

why not aluminum? You could get two sections and join them together in the middle with a thinner piece riveted into one end and a push button set-up on the other. Just get the right diameter so you can pick up a pole foot for it.

Depending how long you want it, you might be able to just get sections at lowes or home depot, and the push button thing is the same that is in a paddle so scavenge a old paddle and strip it for parts.

We used to put extensions on crab nets and fish nets for fishing from piers that way.

Just seal each end of each section with "great stuff" expanding foam, it will seal it off and make it buoyant if you drop it.

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Put an old broom stick handel in the pvc tube. Little to no flex. Cap it off well to avoid to much water getting in. The wooden broom handel will also keep it a float.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Two inexpensive choices that work are a Pool cleaning pole one of those things you attach nets and brushes to in order to clean a pool the other thing is a painters pole.
Both poles are multi section and slide into each other. Twist the sections in oposit directions to lock at desired length. Easy to find some PVC plumbing or electrical fittings to meke a good foot end.

About now some one is going to say NO the sections will not hold the pole will colapse. All I can say to that is we- my wife and I used them for years in the Keys and didnt have problems. Salt ewater will corrode them but that takes years of salt water use.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Go into the woods, and cut a five foot section of limb or bamboo, sharpen end, and drill a hole in the top for a rope and clip. I'm the king of cheap!

JJ
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM

I freedive spearfish too, and You can get a cheap pole spear by JBL. You can get a 1 piece 7 foot pole or two piece 6 foot pole, aluminum solid construction and light! YOu can also attached a three prong on it for shark and alligator deterrance or even gigging for flounder!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Wooden Closet dowel.....
Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM

After a couple of days poling a yak, I'm not sure a standup paddle would'nt be a better alternative to propelling yak while standing up. It does'nt have to be nearly as long, will get you across deeper areas, doesn't stick in mucky bottom, and much shorter learning curve.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lconn4 View Post
After a couple of days poling a yak, I'm not sure a standup paddle would'nt be a better alternative to propelling yak while standing up. It does'nt have to be nearly as long, will get you across deeper areas, doesn't stick in mucky bottom, and much shorter learning curve.
Thats because you have no idea how to poll.........
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Why are trolling motors placed on front of bass boats...control, why do people pull trailors instead of push them ... control, why do you have your hands ahead of the ball on impact in golf... control. Why do you stand in yak? to see.

Why do folks pole flats boats? because they can't paddle them. Why would you use a stand up paddle instead of a pole on yak. Because you can and it might be more efficient.

Tags
cheap, pole, push