Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Motorized Kayaks

Motorized Kayaks Trolling Motors and anything else self-propelled

Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Default minn kota traxxis 45

does anyone use this motor on their kayak?
The one with the maximizer built in looks interesting.My only concern would be the weight and how it would compare to the endura 30 with battery life and all.
was thinking of a bassyaks type setup but using this motor. I believe it's about 8 lbs. heavier than the endura 30,( not sure it's hard to find that data). wonder if the extra weight would allow it to be raised with the rudder pedals ?Might not be a concern but I don't know, I think the endura 50 is used on some yaks and still raised from the pedals.
My thought is that with the maximizer you could get the same or better run times than the endura 30 as long as it wasn't at full power, say 20 to 30 % power.
it wouldn't be hard to rig a lift mechanism for the motor.
Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Default Minn-Kota Traxxis

You can accomplish the same thing with ESC, electronic speed controller, on the 30 and get even better run times. The Maximizer is an ESC.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:34 PM

I know, the traxxis45 is $300 and the endura 30 is $110.Can you get an ESC for under $190? That's my angle on it.
If the Esc is to expensive then the traxxis might be the way to go.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Gary, your not going to be able to do a lift mechinism, hell it's hard to raise them by hand.
again the maximiser will work but it'll cost you just as much to seal the unit, as it will fail if not protected. Bite the bullet and get a Bassyaks kit, your already looking at $300, PM me, I have saltwater 46's
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
JuicedKayak

Default Electric Trim.

I bought my ESC by MInn Kota (Waterproof) very cheap online, if you dig hard enough you can find it. I also made an electric lift. These are all possible for a VERY reasonable price. Look at my video in the post called electric trim.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
yaker56

Location: Cambodia|Stung Treng,Battambang,Kampot,Pursat,Kratie,Takeo,Prey Veng,Kandal,Kampong Cham,Phnom Penh,
Default Minn Kota 55lbs. Thrust, 40lbs, lift w String on NU14.5

Steve, I am Retired and Enjoy the Hands on of Making the Mount for My Yak. I would Enjoy Your Setup But as I said Retired, Please Understand I use No Buttons, My Steering and Controls are all in the Electronic Foot Pad. My Hands are Totally Free to fish! I have just made the same type mount for My NU12 and works Fabulos. The string pull, yes I plan to make a collar so the lift string will stay in place as the shaft spins. Yes at this time I have to look If I reverse, until I come with a better way, and this helps me to stay limber anyway. Also as I had this TM on Aluminum Boat just sitting there, so No Cost to me. Dangerous, I can pull the TM up anytime it is needed.... Here is what I had written on another site and should have posted with photo...One More thing Steve, some of Us just Enjoy inventing things along the way and will continue as that is what makes this a Great Nation

55lbs. Thrust Trolling Motor Mounted on NU14.5 Tandem
by yaker56 Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 pm

55lbs. Thrust Trolling Motor Mounted on NU14.5 Tandem

Here is Link http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/yaker561/
to show how I Made a Mount on My NU14.5 Tandem to allow My Minn Kota Power Drive V2 Trolling Motor, 55LBS. Thrust to be Mounted on the Stern of it. I had already made a transom for side mount 45lbs. thrust TM, which allows easy way to get TM on it. The Difference the TM added from Paddling allowed Me More Freedom, the same Difference with the Stern Mounted TM , it is another Step Up to More Freedom in the Yak, and Allowing Me More time on the Water Enjoying the Yak) I would Not take that away from the Experience, the Side mount, If that's what You can do then Enjoy it)
The TM came off My Deep V Boat and therefor the Long Shaft, which I added My Safety Flag to it, I did have to separate My Rocket Launchers to allow the Long Shaft to lay down, Now I think I may Like them better along the sides as I can turn n Look to see which Rod I want. I had Nothing to Lose by using the TM as already had it) I was Concerned with the Unlocking of Shaft of TM ,to slide it into water, therefor added a string at top, and when first get to lake just unlock shaft, and when paddle away I release the string which allows the Motor and Shaft to tilt up and slide down to be Locked into position, added another string onto the Release slide, when needing to tilt back up , I pull String to unlock and pull other string tied to shaft which allows TM to tilt down) The Metal and Wood Mount I made really came together Nicely and Cheap as had all the Pieces I needed, and Again Thanks to Native for the 2 Stern Screws they installed because it allowed the securing of the Mount to the Yak) I only Drilled 2 Bolt Holes at the front of Metal Mount , which is hid from view, making a Clean setup) Then just screwed the TM Plate to the 2x8 wood and slide the TM into place and Locked it in. This also allows Me to Unscrew the TM from the Plate and just Slide it off if I need to)

My Trailer with the 10ft PVC allows Me to Slide Yak More forward as the added weight on Stern from TM . The Added Length of the Tongue , I had Already done, Allowed this with No Issues.

1. The 55lbs. Thrust TM, Stern Mounted , It allows the Yak to be Stable as all the weight is Centered , No More shifting as did with Side Mount, for Offset TM.
2. This TM has Electronic Pad for Steering and 18ft. Cord, so I can steer from front seat if I desire to.
3. The Steering is Very Touchy, it takes a Very Small Touch of the Foot to turn the Electronic Steering, I mean Quick.
4. The Steering is Backwards also as these TM were made to Pull, so You have to Really Think about and get used to tap Right is Left Turn, Tap Left is Right Turn, the Reverse is to Hold down the Pedal and the TM Spins the Shaft to Reverse itself.
5. The Stern Mount Seems to allow Less Battery Usage even with the Larger TM, It always seemed My Side mounted TM Battery usage was going away faster, after 4hrs Trolling I had Plenty Power still with the Stern Mount)
6.Moved 12 Volt Battery Forward of Rear Seat and Just behind Front seat, to distribute weight.
7. I enjoyed the Side mount TM , and with the 55lbs. Thrust Mounting will Enjoy the Challenges it Brings)
8. It also Cost Me Nothing as I had Everything already)
9. I Truly am Hands Free as I Trolled along with 2 Rods in Holders and Enjoyed if I want to thro another rod)
10. Most Importantly is, I have More power to Help get Me out of Harms way, If Storms Blow in)

Any Questions let me know yaker56

Private message
Old 07-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Don't waste your time, they don't work correctly. it's dangerous toboot.
The control button never leaves your hand , your always correcting the steering path, there's no reverse so you have to run the motor lower than your keel so it will spin 180 degrees to get any reverse motion, limiting your clearance. The cord gets coiled around the shaft, you never know where the motor is pointing, and your always looking back to see where it is. And it's NOT hands free, you can't put that control down for a second.
I may be fun for tooling around but that's about it.
Foot steering is the only way to go in a motorized fishing kayak

Steve

Tags
kota, minn, traxxis