Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Native Kayaks

Native Kayaks Description - Talk about the Ultimate, Manta Ray and other Native Kayaks.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Default Magic SUP

Has anyone tried SUP (stand up paddling) in the Magic series of boats?

I'm on the fence as to the magic or the ultimate.
I like the magics SOT, scuppers and etc. I just haven't seen to many people in them?

Weight isn't an issue in either one, and I can SUP surf on paddle boards so I'm leaning towards a Magic.

thanks,
Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Go with the Ultimate and still get a stand up paddle. I'm getting one to use in my Commander.

The only Magic I've seen outside a kayak shop has been in a pawn shop, complete with paddle and PFD
Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 PM

How do you like the commander?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM

I love it. It's my first hybrid style kayak outside of the 10+ other sit on top fishing kayaks I've owned. This style will be around and continue to grow to other manufacturers. I like the Slide Trax system and the options it provides for mounting items. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to use the large tankwell effectively. I only wish there was a Slide Trax in the back as well as up front. The captains seat is a nice feature and I sit in it more than the Phase 3 seating. However 90% of my time is spent standing up.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM

I have a 14.5 Magic and use to have a 14.5 Ultimate. I like the magic much more. The plug and play system works extremely well and the scuppers allow you go off shore. I have not tried standing, but many do. Palm Beach Pete, on another inshore fishing site, posted photos of him poling the magic with a passenger. Send me a PM and I'll forward a link to the other site.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

I had a magic 12, nice boat. I just got the ultimate 14.5. The ultimate is alot more stable standing than the magic. I'm 6'2'' and 180 lbs by the way so weight isnt an issue. Also the thing about the magic I did not like was the pooling water around the scupper holes in the front. I fish lakes and rivers.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM

If you're in need of a self draining kayak the Magic 14.5 will give you greater stability over the 12 and has a much greater weight capacity and no water pooling.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Tre'bor
Default Magic 14.5T

Just purchased a Magic 14.5 Tandem and am more than satisfied. My wife, myself and dog went out yesterday and zero water got in the boat. I bought it for a number of reasons.
It's a DRY SOT, with the plug and play system I have ordered and receive a dozen clips that I am using to make a number of accessories for fishing that I can move around as needed, remove when just out for a pleasure paddle, and when I set the boat up for solo the equipment will be within easy reach. My wife, her very first time kayaking, and not a person comfortable on the water decided very quickly that this was a very stable boat and she loved our 4 hour outing. She wants to get out fishing on it and already has plans for the fall to drive down to the OBX and fish the sound. Love that woman.

We are in our 60's and enjoying discovering a new way of life. Kayaking will be a very important part of that life.

I also have a OK Prowler 13 that I have rigged for fishing. Wet critter no matter what the conditions. But I like having it for when I go out alone.

I just wish I had seen that Magic in the pawn shop, I would have 2 in my garage now!!!

Tags
magic, native watercraft, stand