Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Default NW NJ help

Any advice out there for NW NJ?

I'm dropping the wife at a Girl Scout camping event to hang with my kids, so I'll have most of the day to spend- and was looking for some freshwater opportunities. I haven't FW fished in years, so any advice would be appreciated.

Any of the lakes at High Point SP, or Stokes worthwhile?

Shad in the Delaware from the kayak? Do people do that?

I'll be in Glen Spey, NY- should I just buy a NY non-res license for the day?

Any advice on launch spots would be great- feel free to PM.

Thanks,
Charlie

Lee Wulff
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Funny Lee was my neighbor up my cabin in NYS. I still have a bunch of flies he gave to me as a child.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

The Flatbrook has fantastic trout fishing this time of year. They stock on Fridays too. Stop by the Stokes Sports Shop on Rt. 206 just after Culver's Lake for any advice, good guys there. If you are a fly fisherman it is HEAVEN!! Shad are running in the Big D but I don't think that can/should be done on the Yak but i may be wrong.

A bunch of my famiily lives in/around Glen Spey, and my grandfather used to be the care-taker of the very Girl Scout camp where your wife is headed (look for the red dot right?) GREAT fishing in the lake on that camp.. monster LMB and a plethora of Perch in addition to nice pickerel/pike.

To be honest there is no Bad place to fish up this way. whatever you do enjoi yourself it is supposed to be beautiful tomoro.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM

Well, things didn't go as planned. Sure I had the "whole day to myself", but we have my daughter's communion next weekend, so I felt it a good idea to work around the house. Dropped teh wife off at the camp, then back home (not bad just a 1 1/2 hour ride each way).

Power-washed the deck and siding until 2:30ish, then felt the need to hit RB. Got there around 3:30PM. Being a newbie, I wanted to get a feel for this activity prior to the J-Bay outing.

I pulled up and saw the guys on the beach bring in blues, so I felt pretty good. Strated trolling a Rapala X-Rap in bunker, and nailed a decent bass of ~28-30", 6-7 lbs. Later got a good-sized blue on the same lure.

It was a good session, and I learned a few things- most importantly that I need to work a better way to leash my conventional setup.

All in all, a good couple hours.

Lee Wulff