Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum

Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Trophyhusband

Default My new kayak upgrades

My wife and I recently bought kayaks so I decided to outfit mine for fishing. Most of my family thinks I'm nuts, but maybe you guys can appreciate what I've done. The yak is a Necky Rip, probably not the first choice for a fishing kayak, but I'm making it work.

For my mods, I wanted things as simple as possible, light as possible, and cheap as possible. The cheap part didn't quite work out. My goals (which are still met so far) is to be able to get from the truck to the water in two trips maximum, one to carry down the kayak, and one to bring everything else (batteries, paddle, fishing gear, etc.), and be in the water within 5 minutes of parking at the put-in/driving away within 5 minutes of stepping out of the kayak.

I built the dash using 2 HDPE cutting boards from Walmart and put it together with countersunk screws and Marine Goop. It slides in and is held firmly in place with 5 screw. It comes out easily so I can take one of my three boys out with me

I made the dash small enough that my knees shouldn't hit it should I capsize and also to leave me plenty of room for rigging fishing gear.

I have two 10 ah batteries. The terminal connections are covered with a generous layer of Goop to hopefully prevent corrosion. The front battery was mounted by notching out part of the foam block in the bow. To hold it in place, I pushed a piece of aluminum angle iron through with holes drilled in the ends. I then just use a mini bungee cord to hold in the battery.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Trophyhusband

For the bilge pump, I carved out some of the foam bulkhead to recess it a little to save me a little storage behind the seat and hopefully reduce stuff snagging on it. You can also see the two recessed rod holders I added behind the seat. I damaged the foam bulkhead a little putting in the aft battery tray.

I sanded the bottom of the pump as much as I could to make it conform to the hull. It's held in with Goop and the wires are pushed through the foam bulkhead.

I ran the discharge hose through the bulkhead and put a loop in it to hopefully reduce or even keep water from coming in the discharge port.

I had to put the discharge up on the rear deck because otherwise it would spend too much time below the waterline. I added the clamshell to direct the water over the side instead of up into a fishing rod.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Trophyhusband

I mounted a jack for a removable all around light . I had to shorten the rope going from the carry handle to the bungee.

I've already ran the power cable back for the addition of a trolling motor in the future.

For the aft battery tray, I put a couple 90 degree bends in some aluminum angle iron and pushed it into the foam bulkhead. It's held in place with Goop.

The battery is held in place with a bungee cord hooked to a couple holes in the tray.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Trophyhusband

All connections are made inside two small rubbermaid containers. I did my best to make these junction boxes waterproof, but even if water gets in there, the connections are soldered and have heatshrink on them. The fuses are also located inside. There is only one cable going from the aft junction box to the forward junction box.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Wow...really nice job! I especially like the dash. Ingenious and well executed. If you get tired of working on your kayak, I have some stuff around the house that I've been trying to get to for a while.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Great job, al thats really top notch stuff

Oh, and did I mention, I'm in!!!"

First member of the Pringles kayak fishing team
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Trophyhusband

I used heatshrink terminal connectors and added more heatshrink to cover up as much exposed metal as possible. I then gave the everything a couple coats of Goop. I put two white LED lights in holes drilled in the bottom of the dash do give me light for night fishing. I put two green LEDs inside just for fun. In the back of the dash compartment is a 6 pin jack so I can easily disconnect and remove the dash board.

I put in a twelve volt power outlet in so I can plug in a fish attracting light. The top left switch is a double throw switch wired such that pushing up will make the (future) trolling motor go forward and pushing down will make it go in reverse. Bottom left switch is for the bilge pump. Top right switch turns the all around nav light and compass light on. Bottom right turns on the LEDs in the dash board.

I get plenty of light to tie and bait hooks with the dash lights. It has a nice green glow to it as well. The pic is a little over exposed so it doesn't glow as bright as it appears.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Trophyhusband

Here's another pic of the dash lights. This one is a little underexposed. It looks a little brighter in person. I'm no photographer, but you get the idea.

I made my own fish attracting light. There are ten sets of 3 waterproof LEDs. The thing they are attached to is just two 2 inch PVC end caps glued together with a short piece of PVC pipe and filled with sand.

The light plugs in and clips in so there's no tension on the wires.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Trophyhusband

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I have a few more minor things I've done as well, maybe I'll post them later today. There are things I should do around the house as well, but where's the fun in that?

I'm now contemplating a rudder, outriggers, and a sail. All home made, of course.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Very Nice, How did you bend the Dash board. Boiling water or a heat gun? anyway thats a slick dash.

Tags
kayak, upgrades