Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum

Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Trophyhusband

What's wrong with the steering? It actually works very well.

The connector should handle the current just fine. The 2 speed motor supposedly draws 5 amps on the higher speed, but I only wired up the lower speed. The switch for the motor is momentary on/off/momentary on. The purpose of the motor is for positioning the kayak while drifting and fishing, so it's only used in short bursts.

The pvc is schedule 80 electrical conduit inside so shattering wasn't an issue, but it still flexed way too much so the latest version is fiberglass which is not only lighter, but is much stiffer.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Trophyhusband

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsquirt View Post
I love this build. Thanks for all the detail. I would love to see some video of it sailing. Great Job!!!
Finally I got some video of it sailing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKjand.../0/pIui6jW8Vos
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Andy B

Very nice!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Very cool, it looks like maybe 6 or 7 knots, and stable.
you gotta stop bopping yourself in the head when you comeabout.
I like the outrigger flexing, does the nose of the float ever go under??

Tight Sails
Steve
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Trophyhusband

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Very cool, it looks like maybe 6 or 7 knots, and stable.
you gotta stop bopping yourself in the head when you comeabout.
I like the outrigger flexing, does the nose of the float ever go under??

Tight Sails
Steve
I'm not sure I got up to 6 knots, but next time I'll take my GPS watch to see. The leeboards don't work well so I lose a lot of speed to side slip. The floats aren't glued in yet so the port one was spinning a lot. It dove several times and almost pulled me over. Next time it will be secured. I never got hit while coming about. The boom length was determined by where my heads would be so it misses me, but I wouldn't have to lean forward much to get whacked.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 AM

I have to say all the stuff you have done is really awesome. I love rigging my kayaks and am in the process of reoutfitting my OK Big Game, with new FF (w/ down imaging) and been looking to add some type of easy connect for a light. I love the addition of the LED lighting as well. The baking and molding of the cutting board material is really a neat idea, and I intend on trying to use that in someway as well in a different type of application.

Anyway, just wanted to say great job. BTW - I don't think I would ever do the sail addition, but the video is amazing. I can't believe how well it was moving you along.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Trophyhusband

Thank you. The sail would work a lot better if I lost 30 pounds. I also still have to build a better lee board to do some upwind sailing.

If there's anything I can help with, let me know. There was a lot of trial and error involved.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Sparty

Wow extra nice!
Are there different sizes of the female terminal connectors to the 12v battery? I have my battery coming in the mail and want to get the right size to just make 1 trip to the auto store for my connectors.

Tags
kayak, upgrades