Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Slickrick22

Thumbs up Field and Stream brand: Eagle Talon

IM HERE TO REVIEW THE FIELD AND STREAM EAGLE TALON..
MOST OF YOU ARE THINKING RIGHT NOW...FIELD AND STREAM MAKES A YAK?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS... IT MUST BE GARBAGE....WELL.. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

WE IM HER TO INFORM YOU I DID GET WHAT I PAID FOR…AND IT WAS A LOT FOR A LITTLE!!

NOW… DON’T GET ME WRONG…THIS YAK IS GREAT FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO GET INTO THE SPORT AND WANTS A SOLID BOAT TO START FROM FOR NOT A LOT OF CASH..BOOOOOM! LOOK NO FURTHER..

THIS YAK HAS EVERYTHING YOU WOULD LOOK FOR IN AN ANGLER SERIES FISHING KAYAK WITHOUT PUTTING YOUR WALLET ON A DIET PROGRAM TO BOOT.

NOW THIS IS MY FIRST YAK INTO THE SPORT AND I MUST SAY IT DOES A HELL OF A JOB PUTTING ME ON THE FISH…WHAT I MEAN IS THIS ISAN EXCELLENT PLATFORM TO HONE IN ON YOUR FISHING SKILLS TO WHEN YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE TO STEP IT UP TO A PRO ANGLER SERIES KAYAK…
THIS KAYAK HAS ALL THE OPTIONS YOU WOULD WANT IN A FISHING KAYAK AND WE WILL TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW THEM CLOSER.

You can see its a nice looking yak and has alot of already installed options one would need in a fishin yak!

The back of the boat has alot of space for storage but I find that its to narrow to take a full size milk crate.. It does have a nice mesh netting to hold my stuff down and plenty of tie down nods.
The kayak comes in Yellow, Red, Grey/Sand and camo. you'll also find a anchor trolly that works great, except it only covers the back half of the boat and not the front which makes it hard when your facing a strong downward current and positioning that yak for fishing.

As you can see above...the kayak comes with lift straps on both sides for lifting but differ from other makers as they like to overlap the straps for liftin instead of leaving them laid out as you see in the picture screwed it..
another thing you'll notice is the paddle holder (which is on both sides) and an anchor kleet on the left side of the boat ..The seat is comfy for 3-4 hours of travel then you need higher back support for those longer trips, so I suggest changing that out if you like longer trips or camping.
You'll also notice a hatch that is a screw to seal and I think its 4-5 inches in diameter but not sure.. to lazy to measure
It has a mesh hold that is removable for cleaning...
Now brackets for your foot holds are adjustable and breakaway when you apply to much pressure as to enssure you don't damage to boat when moving around or paddling. If one does come out...it easily pops back in and snaps into place like new!
Last but not least it has an adjustable rod holder up front...Some people have complained that it sits to far up to reach... I have yet a problem to reach or use it..and Im 5'11''

You have a front latch is big and has a water tight lid thats a pain in the ass to get on sometimes but have yet to see any water in the boat..Its a huge space that fits my tent...camping chair, grille and cloths bag with space to spare. you can see in the other pic I have my Cuda 300 Battery stored in a dry bag. Another thing I liked was the carry straps on the from and back of the boat..These things are a life safer if you dont have yak wheels to move your boat around.

As you can see the hull is pretty rigid and I have put this thing thru alot in the two months I've had it..Atleast 20 times on the water and even rolled it on the jetti rocks with just small scratches to show for it...This hull is solid..it may not be as strong as a Tarpon but its pretty darn thick!
not to mention it tracks well even in 2-3 foot seas!

All in All this is a Great boat to get your Fishing on and should not be passed up due to the maker or the price! for 399.00 your out of you mind for not picking one up! Seriously guys dont over look this bargin buster.... More bang for your buck....and Besides we are in tough times...Be smarter with your money and get more with less!! Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Member~Formerly PM Casting

Nice review Slickrick, Do they make a 14 footer? How wide is your 12. Do you know who makes it?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Slickrick22

Hey Chris.....thanks for the heads up...No, they dont make a 14 footer that I'm aware of...now i've heard thru a couple sites including this one that the yak maker is Old Towne and it sits 12'6" long by 30" wide. let me know if you need anything else or have more questions..more then happy to help out a fellow yakker.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Good report Slick.. I saw that kayak at Dicks last week and said looks like a great entry level kayak...
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Slickrick22

thanks Krash
Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM
flattie1

Thanks for sharing your first hand impressions. I am in the market for a fishing kayak and I came across this kayak at Dicks Sporting Goods - currently on sale for $499. I also looked at the Perception Pescador at Sports Authority on sale for $599.

The Field and Stream does seem to come with a bit more stuff - anchor trolley, anchor, 2 recessed rod holders, a scotty style rod holder up front as well as the large tupperware hatch in the bow, and a twist lock hatch in front of the seat.

That said - the floor model at Dicks had a huge hull deformation between the front hatch and where the swivel mount rod holder is on the bottom of the hull. It was "kinked" or pushed in a good 6 inches - looks like someone had it upside down and jumped on it. This is the only thing that gives me pause and has me considering the Perception Pescador for $100 more.

The Field and Stream (Eagle Talon) did have the origin of manufacture paperwork attached - looks like it is made by Joy Sports LLC in Thailand - apparently they also make Moken kayaks. I'm wondering if the F&S is based on a retired hull mold/model like the Perception Pescador is.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM
crpngdth2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattie1 View Post
Thanks for sharing your first hand impressions. I am in the market for a fishing kayak and I came across this kayak at Dicks Sporting Goods - currently on sale for $499. I also looked at the Perception Pescador at Sports Authority on sale for $599.

The Field and Stream does seem to come with a bit more stuff - anchor trolley, anchor, 2 recessed rod holders, a scotty style rod holder up front as well as the large tupperware hatch in the bow, and a twist lock hatch in front of the seat.

That said - the floor model at Dicks had a huge hull deformation between the front hatch and where the swivel mount rod holder is on the bottom of the hull. It was "kinked" or pushed in a good 6 inches - looks like someone had it upside down and jumped on it. This is the only thing that gives me pause and has me considering the Perception Pescador for $100 more.

The Field and Stream (Eagle Talon) did have the origin of manufacture paperwork attached - looks like it is made by Joy Sports LLC in Thailand - apparently they also make Moken kayaks. I'm wondering if the F&S is based on a retired hull mold/model like the Perception Pescador is.

Where are you located? Academy Sports has the Perception Pescador 12' on sale for $469.00 right now.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
flattie1

Thanks for the tip on Academy Sports - unfortunately there are none in my area. I'm in Long Island in NY.

The closest seems to be in TN - a bit of a drive for me

I will see if Sports Authority accepts competitors ads. If they do then I have to convince them that someone from a few hundred miles away is a competitor.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
crpngdth2001

If you have a West Marine nearby, they may price match as well - plus their ship to store is free. I haven't price matched on this particular kayak, but have done so on Marine Electronics in the past (I'm in Ohio - but still a bit away from TN).
Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM
flattie1

Thanks for the tip - I do have a West Marine nearby. I checked out shipping and handling from Academy. Even though they don't have a store here they charge NYS sales tax - that's $55. Then shipping is $170 for the oversize package. To make it more difficult I just opened the mail and got a $50 off purhcases over $100 at Dicks so it would bring it to $449. If I can get a price match on the Perception I'll likely go with that otherwise F&S here I come.

Tags
brand, field, stream