Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM
elgeebee

Default DIY Stakeout Pole

I am waiting for my Ride 135 to come in, so I am using this time to get my stuff together for rigging...I decided to make this stakeout pole instead of buying one. It is made from 3/4" schedule-40 PVC - it is 5' long...

The top is simply a tee, with caps attached with small pieces of PVC...glued with clear high-strength PVC cement.

The bottom has a few things going on - although I don't have it pictured, there is a 12" metal stake pushed into the end of the pipe about 3" past the end. I fashioned a 5" wood stake out of pressure-treated wood, and this is jammed into the end, glued with 30-minute epoxy. After it was cured, I beveled the end of the PVC to match the angle of the wood tip - them the wood got several coats of Spar Urethane...

The stakeout pole is heavy at the tip end - I'm hoping this will make for good leverage when driving into mud and tough bottom. I am going to go over to my neighbor's house and throw it in his pool to see if the top part will float!

I've got about $8 in materials in this pole. I'm having fun making stuff for my kayak...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Nice job!
If it doesn't float, just slide a 6" section of poole noodle up the shaft towards the handle.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Administrator

That is a nice job on the stake out pole, but I would try to make the tip out of metal like stainless steel or aluminum. I am sure it will last you much longer.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman

I actually like the wood idea... It may wear out but it can't be too hard to replace. And there's less risk of poking holes in stuff or scratching the side of the kayak.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 AM

I made my stake out pole also. I went to a local golf course and asked if the had an old flag pole I could buy and ten minutes later the guy came back and handed me an old pole and said here just come out and play a round. I ground down the metal end and tied a rope on the end. I'll take a pic later and post it.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I have one very similar, 3/4" PVC also, same T and caps. but the buz end is simply PCK cut ar 45 degrees or close enough for gvmt work. I then shoved some news paper in to clog it up, mixed up a batc of 5 minute gray marine epoxy poured in in about an inch, set it so teh epoxy dried level with the 45-angle.

The T-top end I did teh same, shoved in some newspaper to clog it up, mixed/poured another batch of epoxy to seal it off.. this leaves a 5' section air pocket.. floatation

I then drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the T, raun a bit of line through, tied a couple half-hitches so it won't pull through, sealed thhe hole with some 5200, pulled the line tight and let it dry, then glued the T handle to the main shaft.

6' of line with a clip at the end, actually I added a 12" 1/4" loop of bungie to the clip end.. adds a stretchy buffer to the stakeout pole when in windy bouncy conditions.

To top it off I got a Stick on, Fla-Law sticke-stirker and applied it ot the pole, so that the T is the 0 mark, and the numbers are readable when the pole is stowed and can easily be used as a quick and dirty measuring device.
I keep the pole, stowed, attached to the side of the kayak with a bungie paddle keeper when not deployed so I can easily see the measurements.

It works great in any soft bottoms where a stake-out pole is called for. The PVC has plenty of give, as does the bungie loop, when deployed in windy or rough bouncy contidions.. 3rd kayak same stake-out pole 5 years now now breakage or problems, except its time for a new measureing sticker.

That tip idea you have is sweet, must have access to a lathe, the varnish won't last long but who cares its easy to reapply.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM
elgeebee

Yeah I turned it on my wood lathe - started as a 2x4 piece of decking. I cut it in half & turned it down to where it would fit snug in the pipe. Finally found a use for that dial caliper I bought a few years back

I like your idea about cutting the pipe at an angle, then stuffing with newspaper and filling with epoxy! When the wood wears out, I'm going to go your route!

Tags
pole, stakeout