Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Newbies

Newbies Here's the spot for those new to kayak fishing to ask the questions that everyone asks in the beginning. So look for it here and if you don't see it ask.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
BrokenXJ

Default The water is not warm

Hiya.. 2 questions I guess. First are the sik so flawed in what you can do with them fishing wise that they should be completely avoided for the purposes of fishing even if there are quite a few fishing sik options out there?

Second where I live the months where I would say the water in the area lakes are warm is June, July, and August. The spring and fall can mean water temps in the 40's-50's. Not ideal for getting wet. I understand with the sot's you should expect to get wet as that is how they are designed. Personally I have no interest in dealing with getting wet when the water temps are that low. Even water temps in the 60's don't always feel good. I'd like to be able to comfortably fish more then just those 3 months out of the year. Pretty much small lakes is what I would be getting into. Perhaps the Lake Erie shore on super nice days.

So should I guess with my second question.. Should I find away to deal with hours in the cold water and get a sot when I do buy a fishing Kayak? Please keep in mind the air temp can be in the 60's 70's and 80's when the water temps are still in the 40's and 50's.. Or play it safe and limit how much water I will have to deal with outside or rolling for some reason and get a sik.

I have read the huge write up on the sik vs the sot and definently saw the trend of the sot is better in every aspect of a fishing kayak and very little positive things said about the sik
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman

OK first there are many SIKs that are great for fishing, I would never rule one out especially with your plans of fishing small lakes. The reason you don't see alot of positive reviews online is because 90% of the people around here fish the ocean/bay where a SOT really shines. Fishing freshwater is a completely different animal.

Second, SOTs are designed to drain water through the scuppers in rough water so yes water does come in. BUT In a small lake you would plug the scupper holes and you wouldn't be getting wet.

So essentially both options are on the table for you.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Broken,
I fish both fresh and salt. I have an old (well, I bought it in 2005) Prowler 13 I use in the salt, and an older Old Town Predator 140 sit in that I use mostly in the fresh. I have used the Predator quite a bit in saltwater on the inside as well. Like both boats for their specific uses. Sit in is nice in lakes,ponds,etc. cause theirs plenty of room for gear. Best thing is what everyone here will advise you. Try as many as you can before you buy. Odds are, you'll know the right one for you when you paddle it. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 PM
BrokenXJ

Do places like Dicks and Gander Mountain which are the two sporting good/outdoor sports stores in my area let you actually take them out for testing? or is it more of well if you know somebody with a kayak try theirs?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman

I've never herd of a chain store like dicks offer demos, your better off looking for a local kayak specific shop. Also some lakes/rivers that have kayak trips with rentals will have a decent selection and let you try out different models.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 PM
BrokenXJ

Alright will do.. Hopefully the internets will turn up something local
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
glen ridge linesider

I have a sit in 10 foot bass pro shop ascend I use for fresh water I love it very smooth and handles the chop great. I would not use it in salt bay or ocean . I use a proangler for salt water bays and ocean. The sit in could take in water and sink too easly in very rough conditions imo.

Tags
warm, water