Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
murray8144

Default Help me outfit my yak re: rods/reels

I'm fixing to settle on two rod/reel combos to be taking out if/when I start kayak fishing off the surf (i think that's what you guys mean by "out front"). More than 2 rods & i think i'm overdoing it.

I have two identical outfits, consisting of saltstriker 7'9" Xtra-Heavy action casting rods (1-4oz, 17-40 lb test). They have identical penn 209 levelwind reels. Was using these to troll stretch 25's when i had my center console. If I were to use one or both of these out front, I would likely have to replace the reels with reels more suited for casting. Hence my other thread from this morning, seeking advice on a left-hand reel for a casting rod.

I also have two almost identical outfits, consisting of a saltstriker 7'9" Heavy action casting rod (3/8-3oz, 12-25 lb test) with no reel, and the same rod in spinning with a Penn 7500 SS.

Option 1: get another Penn 7500SS and another of the Heavy action spinning rods for two identical spinning outfits.

Option 2: Use my one 7500 spinning outfit and get a conventional reel for the heavy action casting rod, so i'd have one H-Action spinning & one H-Action casting.

Option 3: bring in one of the XtraHeavy casting rods & use that and one of the 7500 spinning rods.

So the basic question is...are there times/presentations that favor a casting rod? If so, my choice is Heavy or Xtra-Heavy action...would the H-Action casting rod be sufficient or would I be better off using the Xtra H-Action casting rod.

Very convoluted post...sorry, but thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
abraves4410

Im not sure if there is a preferable time for casting vs spinning, but I do find casting rods and positioning of them much more comfortable while sitting down in a yak.

another bit of advice is dont get duplicate setups. I would look for a lighter setup for the blues/smaller stripers etc and keep that nd one of the heavier set ups. Yak fishing is pretty different than a boat and you can usually get away with lighter gear than you'd expect
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM

Agreed. That is some heavy stuff for yak fishing. My heaviest spinning rod is 10-20 lb and I would hate to use a reel larger than a 5000 series, and even that is a bit heavy to hold up all day. Might want to think about swapping those set ups for lighter stuff. Just to get an idea, these are my set ups for NJ out front or bay:

st croix 10-20 premier spinning with cabo 40 reel.

st croix 8-17 tidemaster spinning with penn 360 slammer

trevala ML with avet sx

trevala ML with abu 6500

Note that there are many guys that would prefer heavier trevala or similar for live lining but probably not all the way up to XH. Maybe MH or H?

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
murray8144

that's good info - the rods that i've been using for fluke in raritan bay & stripers/blues might suffice then...offshore angler 7' spinning rods (3/8-2oz, 12-20lb test) with penn 5500ss (have 2 of those outfits).

also have a bit of a light outfit than that - 7' medium heavy (3/8 to 3/4 oz, 10-17lb test) with a penn 4500

maybe 1 of the 5500ss & 1 of the 4500ss then - thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
saltfisherman

I agree the Dave above. For throwing lures at blues, fluke fishing I'm using spin reels that are 4000-5000 series reels with lighter rods to match. Reels are matched with 20 lb braid.

Live lining I use a 6000-8000 series spin reel with med heavy rods to match.

Conventional reels are small palm sized or round reels with 20-30 lb braid.

Your drift speed is lower than a boat, less exposed in area to the wind. I'm using 3 oz sinkers for fluke in the bay.

Like stated kayak fishing is different, I've peddled after fish once hooked to keep short lined.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM

My reels are slammer 360 and 460, 525mag, Abu 5500, and Avet SX. These are fished on a variety of rods with the heaviest being rated 15-30 (and I feel like even that is too heavy for all but the biggest stripers. You will be more comfortable fishing lighter gear and it is still going to be plenty strong enough not tower the fish out. I like spinning for casting and retrieving lures and conventional for everything else.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 AM

It is a PITA to find something you love, but I have, at least for one of my setups.

My all around go to is a St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore TCI70HF. The think has done battle with bass and blues of all sizes, small fluke to large fluke as well as a few sharks, rays and plenty of tog. It is married to a Shimano Calcutta 400B. It is not the best for all types of fishing but it is for my kayak purposes one of the best cross over outfits. It does not cast small lures and recently fell victim to a wrapped tip pencil popping for massive blues.

I am still on the hunt for a rod to pair up with a Curado 301. I am looking at the these and a few other rods but it is hard to find a few of them at the same location to compare.
TIC 66MHF
TIC70MHF
TIC76MF
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Deepshax36

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2wins View Post
It is a PITA to find something you love, but I have, at least for one of my setups.

I am still on the hunt for a rod to pair up with a Curado 301. I am looking at the these and a few other rods but it is hard to find a few of them at the same location to compare.
TIC 66MHF
TIC70MHF
TIC76MF
Check out the Avid for the 301. I snapped a tidemaster and traded up for the Avid. Its super light. right now i have mine set up for fluke with a calcutta 200 but will be picking up a curado towards the end of august to replace my spinning set-up.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepshax36 View Post
Check out the Avid for the 301. I snapped a tidemaster and traded up for the Avid. Its super light. right now i have mine set up for fluke with a calcutta 200 but will be picking up a curado towards the end of august to replace my spinning set-up.
The Avid Inshore is a great looking rod. I have the freshwater version and it has been my main freshwater rod for years. I just wince at the cost of the Inshore knowing that it will be going through the surf and bouncing around on my kayak. At some point I may follow Phil's lead and build my next rod. God help me...my wife may finally serve me with divorce papers.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 PM

first2wins,

i've been considering picking up another low-pro baitcasting reel. I have a abu garcia revo s right now but the line capacity is only good for shallow fluking.

I really like the curado and was debating between the 200 and 300 sizes. Ideally i wanted a lefty with the lower gear ratio but the 5.5:1 only comes righty.

What do you plan on using the 301 for? I personally like to use the smallest/lightest setups I can get away with.

Tags
outfit, rods or reels