Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Native Kayaks

Native Kayaks Description - Talk about the Ultimate, Manta Ray and other Native Kayaks.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Native Watercraft SLAYER

New competition for Jackson Kayaks
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
cmonsta

Anyone use one of these yet?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 AM
archeryrob

Just reading on other sites about people getting one. I know the pontoons on the ultimate provide tracking but the shallow grooves on the slayer are supposed to help. I think it's in between tracking and manuverable from what I read. Might want a ruder for open water, but it would be nice to hear "honest" reporting. So many sites talking about it now are done by "pro-staffers" and to be honest, when most pro-staffers talk, I listen to half of what they say.

This kayak looks very interesting and getting older, I like that higher seating position for my hips.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM
cmonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
Just reading on other sites about people getting one. I know the pontoons on the ultimate provide tracking but the shallow grooves on the slayer are supposed to help. I think it's in between tracking and manuverable from what I read. Might want a ruder for open water, but it would be nice to hear "honest" reporting. So many sites talking about it now are done by "pro-staffers" and to be honest, when most pro-staffers talk, I listen to half of what they say.

This kayak looks very interesting and getting older, I like that higher seating position for my hips.
Yeah exactly. I never listen to sponsored/prostaff guys. Especially in a lesser famous thing like kayak fishing. Some real big time guys in like the bass world you can listen to a bit, like Kevin Vandam, because he can get any sponsor he wants. But other wise I just listen to the features they mention and go from there. Hope someone who used one chimes in. Like the op said, it gives Jackson some competition. The main kayak I been looking at is the Jackson Cuda, and this boat is very close to the same.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Big Guy Boat

Was wondering how this boat will work with a bigger guy...I currently have Malibu XFactor and would like a little smaller boat, but not lose the stability and dry ride.

I am 6'1' and weigh 240, so whadda ya think?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
cmonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfMonkey View Post
Was wondering how this boat will work with a bigger guy...I currently have Malibu XFactor and would like a little smaller boat, but not lose the stability and dry ride.

I am 6'1' and weigh 240, so whadda ya think?
Says the 12' is good to 400lbs and the 14' is good to 450lbs...I dont see why not.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM
archeryrob

With the elevated seat the only part of a wet ride you can have it wet feet at the worst.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM

I finally got a chance to demo the Slayer 14.5 last Saturday on a lake near Dallas. It was really windy, steady 20 mph wind, but I'd been looking to paddle one for 6 months and this was my chance. Didn't spend a lot of time in it as I already knew I liked the kayak from looking at it for some time from online info. Looks even better in person. Seat was just as comfortable as it looks, no surprises there, the best of any raised seating I've been in. Had it in lower position as it was windy, took it out into the waves and chop, and paddled in circles. No problem standing up or getting back down. My main concern was how it felt to be paddling from a higher position than I'm accustomed. Big difference to me but I expected it. Was mentally prepared to be disappointed. Not too bad and could probably get used to it. Hard to comment on stabilty standing as I was cautious and didn't spend a lot of time standing up in the slop. I could have stayed standing but it was work in those conditions. Not many negatives though there were a couple. The plugs were pulled in the bow area and they gurgled quite a bit in the chop. I'm sure with them in and with some weight in bow to trim kayak properly it would have eliminated most if not all of it. The only other negative was how easily bow was blown around by the wind. Again weight in the bow would have definitely helped but with me weighing only 160 lbs this boat could definitely use a bigger load to perform better. All in all I was happy with what I saw. Not the conditions that I would usually fish in but the kind of conditons most of us would have to paddle through to find a place out of the wind. Still looking but this is the one to beat for me.

Not me in video.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE3
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
archeryrob

My buddy bought one. Other than a slight bow swing on paddle, it looks really nice to me. Just something I notice, but no jumping around like the coosa. He stays completely dry, but hes 130 wringing wet.

Tags
native, slayer, watercraft